Your Spring Home Checklist
Spring is a great time to freshen up the home inside and out. Here is our list of things to check off before Summer.
1. Driveway and Sidewalk Maintenance. Freezing and thawing can take a toll on asphalt and concrete. Check your driveway and paths for cracks, scheduling repairs as needed.
2. Powerwash patio. Enjoy the satisfaction of seeing your patio, with what seems like a slight cover of dirt, turn into a brighter and cleaner version right before your eyes.
3. Clean out trash cans and recycling bins. Take cans outside and spray them with a hose. Spray cleaner of your choice inside and out. Let the bins sit for a few minutes before scrubbing them with a brush. Rinse with the hose and leave them upside down to dry.
4. Check safety devices. Test batteries on smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, replacing them as needed.
5. Clear out the clutter. Create more space in your home by clearing out rarely used items. Contact a local charity to schedule a pickup or post them for free on facebook marketplace.
6. Schedule AC maintenance. Schedule professional maintenance before the start of summer. A properly maintained system cools better, uses less energy and lasts longer.
7. Focus on the front porch. Clean the porch floor, windows, windowsills and front door. Wipe cobwebs from the ceiling and high corners. Buy a fresh doormat and pot of flowers. If you have porch furniture, clean it off and maybe add a cute pillow.
8. Test sprinklers and irrigation system. Take the time this month to turn on outdoor faucets and sprinkler systems, adjusting or repairing as needed.
9. Wash windows. Cleaning dirt and grime from windows inside and out can make a huge difference. Do it yourself or if you have high windows, hire a company to do it for you…could be money well spent!
10. Clean and repair screen doors and windows. Pollen and dirt can build up on screens, so it’s a good idea to clean them once a year. For a quick cleaning, leave screens in place and vacuum with a dusting attachment. For a deeper cleaning, remove screens and gently scrub with warm, soapy water. Rinse and let dry. Inspect for holes and repair them with a screen patch kit (available at most hardware stores).
11. Clean out the garage. Can you park your car in your garage? If not (or if it’s a tight fit), it may be time to make some more space. Consider adding wall-mounted storage to keep things neat and off the floor.
13. Clean gutters and downspouts. Clogged gutters can cause water to pool, potentially damaging the roof and siding. If you need recommendations for some people that can do it for you, reach out to us.
14. Improve curb appeal. Consider putting up shiny new house numbers and a fresh new mailbox. Even small changes can make a big impact.
15. Maintain decks and fences. Keep outdoor wood in top shape by staining or resealing it each spring. Check gates, fencing, decks, railings, pergolas and other outdoor structures, and make repairs as needed.
16. Keep an eye out for termites. Termites swarm in the spring so be on the lookout for these winged insects flying out of a hole in any woodwork. If you notice any, call a professional pest-control company right away.
With any home projects that you don’t want to tackle yourself, we have “people”! Simply reach out to the Finn Team for recommendations. Happy Spring!